Did you know you can print a shipping label using paypal for your small packages? And it saves at least 50 cents off the post office rates AND there’s no waiting in line. Amazing. I know. I’ve been doing it for years.
Here’s the link: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now
Keep reading if you need assistance with how to use it…
Here’s how you can get these paypal rates:
1. Copy and paste this link into your browser:
bookmark that link now – you will want to have this in the future!
2. Login to paypal, then fill in the service type=”first class mail parcel” and package size = “package/thick envelope” I’ll give you a partial screen-shot below so you can see what it looks like….
BEWARE!! – make sure to enter the date the package will be IN THE HANDS OF THE POSTAL SERVICE. If you put today’s date, then don’t ship for a few days, it makes the postal metrics looks like they delayed your package. The postal service will often kick your package back to you if you don’t mail it on time!
3. Click continue on that screen and you will see your price and available payment methods for paypal. Purchase your label.
4. The label confirmation screen comes up. Print the label. (hint – if you’re blocking pop-up windows, try the reprint button. I have to use it every time)
5. Put the label on your package and either have your mail carrier pick it up, or drop it in a mailbox.
(you can print on sticky label paper, or print to plain paper and tape it to your package with clear shipping tape. Just make sure the tape doesn’t cover the barcode because they can’t scan if the tape is shiny.)
Where did I learn this and is it safe?
Many years ago, paypal gave it’s users a link to that shipping page for things like shipping ebay sales. Then paypal got big and stopped advertising their single item shipping tool, but they left it active for us old-timers. Bookmark the link and you can always get to it. It is an ACTUAL link on paypal and not a phishing scheme (look at the link – it starts with www.paypal.com.) You could also use the paypal multi-package shipping tool but I find it much more cumbersome. You can find tons of places on the web that praise this secret paypal shipping link – but nowhere on paypal do they still link to it. Crazy, huh?
Not only do you spend less time at the post office, but your barcoded label will arrive faster than stamped mail. I’ve used it for years and it works like a charm. For the record – I have also used usps.gov, and have used the paid version of stamps.com when I sent multiple packages per day from my old Etsy shop. But the paypal link is best for occasional mailing of swaps and it’s the only free way I know of to send 1st class parcels.
Leave me a comment if you have other tips or if this shipping tip helped you out! I would love to hear about it.